Take Steps to Avoid a Fall
September is Falls Prevention Month, and the doctors at West Hartford Podiatry Associates know the facts about falls. They are dangerous, preventable, and more common than you think. According to the CDC, 25 percent of Americans over 65 will fall each year. We’re here to help you reduce your risk, starting at home. Even if you’re not in this age range, a fall should still be a concern.
How is the lighting at home?
- If hallways are poorly lit, add a nightlight.
- For high-traffic areas, keep things bright.
- If you live with older relatives or friends, the goal is to make their path clear. It’s much better when everyone can easily see.
Clutter should be a concern. Spend some time cleaning your home.
- Walking around the home with obstacles is one way to increase your risk for a fall.
- Remove piles of clothes or papers that could cause a slip.
- Clear the floor to make things safer for everyone at home.
If your loved one has fallen, lend them a hand.
- Ask whether they are experiencing any pain or discomfort.
- Schedule an appointment for them to visit a doctor. Make sure that you’re available to join them.
- If you think a cane or another assistive device would help with their walking, make a suggestion.
If you have questions about how you can best fall-proof your home, we’re here to help. Falls can be life-changing, especially for older Americans. Broken bones, concussions, and other injuries may occur. Support the seniors in your life by encouraging strong and healthy bones. Keep them moving and eating well.
At West Hartford Podiatry Associates, Harvey Lederman, DPM, Marc Lederman, DPM, and Kurt Rode, DPM treat a variety of foot and ankle conditions such as ankle sprains, fractures, running injuries, sports injuries, pediatric foot care, bunions, hammertoes, heel pain, and neuromas. We provide the best podiatric solutions to patients of all ages in Hartford County. Contact us for your foot and ankle needs. Our office is at 2531 Albany Ave, West Hartford, CT 06117.